Why wait until the day before Thanksgiving? Start prepping your home one week out, and you’ll be able to relax and enjoy the holiday with your family!
1. Wash all bedding, and extra blankets for your guests. Make the beds, and organize the extra blankets in an easily accessible closet.
2. Finish your shopping before the end of this week. The weekend before Thanksgiving stores get a little bit crazy. Try to finish up all of your shopping on Thursday or Friday the week before! Make a thorough list of groceries, toiletries, paper goods, etc. that you need to stock up on. Don’t forget to search for coupons online and in print before you go! Check your cabinets for everything you already have, and check expiration dates. Also make sure to have ‘to-go’ food containers so your guests can take a little turkey home with them.
3. Prepare a guest basket. Make guests feel welcome by preparing a basket of items they may need or forgot. This could include extra toothbrushes, tooth paste, shampoo and conditioner, razors, etc. Also have some nice hand soap and lotion in the bathrooms!
4. Prep for food and desserts early next week. Start any food prep that can be done ahead of time on Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday of next week. Many desserts can be pre-made and froze ahead of time!
5. Clean and dust the dining room, and go ahead and set the dining room table. Also, lay out the napkins. If you want to go above and beyond, try making place cards and an ‘I’m thankful for…’ card that each guest can fill out at their seat.
6. Deep clean the floors and bathrooms. Work on these projects this weekend, while the stores are busy! If you’ve already hit the stores, you can focus on your home projects over the weekend.
7. Stock up on beverages. Another store that will be busy before Thanksgiving is the liquor store. If it fits your family, stock up on wine and/or beer. Don’t forget to have plenty of sodas, tea and coffee too!
8. Give your front porch a sprucing up. Sweep the leaves, and maybe add a ‘Welcome!’ sign or mat out front, if you don’t already have one.