Yep, we’ve all done it at some point. Spilt wine on the carpet, knocked over a plate of spaghetti or let the dog in with muddy paws. No doubt it can be a real pain to get those stains out of the carpet.
Here’s some tips to help you get the stains out:
1. Clean messes right away. This may seem obvious, but if you have ever let a stain sit on the carpet for 24 hours or more, you know that it’s almost impossible to get out most of the time.
2. For liquids, absorb first. If the stain on your carpet is a liquid (red wine, sauce, etc). absorb as much of the liquid as you can at first with a clean towel. Also, remember the “removing stains 101” rule; ALWAYS BLOT, NEVER SCRUB. Scrubbing will only further embed the stain into the carpet.
3. For mud, let it dry. If you have mud on the carpet, don’t risk smearing it around. Let it dry first, gently scratch at the mud to loosen the particles, and then vacuum up the dried dirt. From there, you can start the rest of the cleaning process.
4. Try water first. It’s always a good idea to start the cleaning process with a clean, white towel that has been damped with water. NOTE: Do not over soak your carpet! Take the damp wash cloth and continue to BLOT at the stain until you can see that the stain is no longer being absorbed by the towel.
5. Use a small amount of carpet cleaner. One you have gotten all of the stain out that you can with a damp towel, spray a small amount of carpet cleaner onto the stain. Make sure the let it sit for a few minutes to help break down what’s left of the stain. Also, be aware of what types of stains your carpet cleaner removes; they make different cleaners for specific types of stains. Once the cleaner has had a few minutes to sit, BLOT at it. Repeat until the stain is completely gone. Remember, don’t over soak your carpet!!
6. Dry, dry, dry. One of the cardinal rules of stain removal that people often forget is to dry the carpet best you can once your done cleaning the stain. Get a clean towel and BLOT at the damp carpet until you have drawn all the possible liquid out that you can! You don’t want mold growing under your carpet.
7. If the stain is still there. Been cleaning on that stain for 2 hours and it’s still there? Well, our advice is to call an expert. An expert carpet cleaning company can remove stains with many different techniques, such as steam cleaning your carpets.
For more tips on cleaning stains off your carpet, give us a call at 785.320.7977!