For those of you who work at home, whether full-time, part-time, as a blogger or just on bills and household duties, The Everygirl provides ’12 items to improve productivity for anyone who works at home’. Just a short recap of the twelve items are listed below, but check out the article for detailed and helpful tips on your home office!
1. Designated work space
2. Natural light
3. Good artificial lighting
4. Computer with wifi
7. To do list or planner
8. Coffee maker, espresso machine, teapot, whatever your prefer
9. Pencil cup and basic office supplies
10. Ample storage
12. Place for inspiration
Additional home office essentials:
1. Closed door – Working from home can be very difficult with constant distractions if you don’t have a door to close. It’s also a great reminder to family to designate work time from family time. Work on a ‘closed door’ policy. When the door is closed during work hours, no interruptions, unless it’s an emergency.
2. Notebook – The paper and pen kind! To jot down ideas, client phone calls, brainstorming sessions, etc.
3. Trashcan and recycling bin – You’ll likely have a lot of paper in your office. Be kind to the environment and recycle paper, cans, magazines and more. A trashcan for non recyclables is also a must.
4. Space heater and/or blanket – Instead of having to keep your home toasty all day everyday when you work for home, consider a space heater under your desk and a blanket! It will save you major bucks on heating bills.
5. Shipping account with Fedex or UPS – It’s free! It will save you time and stress (no one likes waiting in those lines!). Having an account set up is a great convenience for someone who works at home.
6. Surge protection – Just do it!
7. Filing cabinet – Must have, unless you’re scanning and storing all of your information electronically.
8. Chair that supports (or stability ball for all you adventurous/healthy types!) – Chances are you will spend a lot of your day sitting down, so make sure it is a chair that supports your back and bones. You’ll be thankful later!
9. Flash drive – Comes in handy for transferring information.