1) Iowa Girl Eats is a great food blog, and fellow mid-westerner. Her blog is not only entertaining to read, but provides delicious, not-too difficult and pretty cost-effective recipes. She just recently shared a list of 15 fall soup recipes. Soup is great for many reasons: comforting in cold weather, healthy and lasts for days. The leftovers will save you major bucks and time! Check it out here: http://iowagirleats.com/2013/10/21/15-fall-soup-recipes/.
2) Make your own pumpkin pie spice this year! Fall is the season for baking up lots of pumpkin recipes. But why buy ‘pumpkin pie spice’ at the grocery store, when you can easily and inexpensively make your own! Betty Crocker tells you how here: http://www.bettycrocker.com/tips/tipslibrary/baking-tips/how-to-make-pumpkin-pie-spice.
3) Skinny Taste is a popular blog full of ‘skinny’ recipes that don’t taste ‘skinny’! Gina does a great job of making healthy recipes that are easy to understand. And her recipes don’t require every ingredient under the sun! Check out her amazing collection of ‘skinny pumpkin madness’ recipes here: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2007/07/skinny-pumpkin-madness.html.
4) With the days getting shorter, there’s no reason to spend two hours on dinner! The easier and faster the recipe, the better. Right!? These recipes can be made ahead of time and reheated on a busy evening. Check the recipes out here: http://www.sheknows.com/food-and-recipes/articles/1017789/quick-and-easy-make-ahead-meal-recipes-for-fall.
5) In the fall, we tend to lean towards comfort food: mac n’ cheese, mashed potatoes and gravy, chili, etc. But don’t forget those power salads once a week! Four great power salads can be found here: http://www.eatingwell.com/blogs/food_blog/4_favorite_fall_power_salads.
Here’s to healthy, quick and inexpensive recipes for this fall! Get to cookin’!